Saturday, March 28, 2009

The "F" Word




I'll admit it.

I use the "F" word a little more than I should. C'mon, we've all said it at one time or another. It's a word we use to fit a variety of occasions but let's face it, mostly we use it because it just feels great to say it. Some of us say it a lot more than others. I can't remember exactly the first time I heard the "F" word, but I do know that I learned it at a very young age from my mother. She used it a lot. She probably learned it from her mother. Now that I think of it, I've heard the word used many times in my immediate and extended family. The disturbing thing is that kids are no exception. It's shameful but I've found that nothing in the world will bring a smile to a child's face quicker than the "F" word.


Now if you are anything like me, when I am in a bad mood and I use the "F" word, it immediately makes me feel better. It's a terrible weakness I know, but the word itself brings such satisfaction that I just can't deny the occasional indulgence. Although I don't use the "F" word everyday, it feels so good to shout it out every so often, in fact, I feel a huge one coming on right now..........close your ears.........here it comes................

FUDGE!!!!!!


Well, what in the heck did you think I meant?


So now my secret is out. I've found that the "F" word can bring even the most reformed Chocoholic to their knees. Over the years I have collected many different Fudge Recipes from many different people.....and although there are many easier and quicker recipes, I always fall back to my old favorite that I've used for years. It's the one I started with about 40 years a long time ago. It's a little more time consuming, but in my humble opinion, it is totally worth it. This is the real deal. No shortcuts. This fudge is so good it could make a train take a dirt road. Oh.....so you don't believe me??? Try it and see....I double-dog dare you.

You will need:

2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup milk (not skim or no fat...what's the point?)
4 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Start by generously buttering a 5 x 9 pan....OR sometimes I use a round 8" cake pan. Whatever works for you...just do it. :) You can also use cooking spray to grease the pan.....it works just as well. Then set it aside and start the show!

Combine the sugar...

cocoa.....

..... and milk in a medium saucepan.

Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer. Do not stir again.

Hey! I said don't stir it again.

Hard to resist, isn't it??

Carefully attach the candy thermometer to the inside of the pan and cook over low heat until the temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C) or the soft ball stage.

I can't believe that I am still using my mother's candy thermometer from the 50's. See the lady on the box...doesn't she look happy?? She's holding up the candy thermometer saying "Hi, I'm wearing pearls and making fudge". She must be medicated.


Anyway, if you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers. Keep in mind that it will take about 50-60 minutes at a low rolling boil, over low heat for it to reach the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge loses its sheen. Do not under beat. (If you want to make marshmallow or nut fudge, pour a little fudge into the pan, just enough to coat the bottom, then add the marshmallows and nuts before covering it all over with the remainder of the fudge.) Pour into the prepared pan and let cool. (Try not to stare at it) You should get about 60 pieces from one batch.


Then carefully step back, take a deep breath, spin around, click your heels three times and shout "FUDGE - IT!"

Feels good, doesn't it??


Now close your eyes and eat a piece.

Just one piece please.

See..didn't I tell you?



Ahhhhhh. Giddy Up.





8 comments:

Minka said...

Pleeeease Don't torture me - I don't haveime to make fudge today...

Looks delicious, really! :)

Lisa said...

"OHHHHHHH! FUDGE!"

I know the word well.

aunt grace said...

My father was a plumber, and when he came home with damaged hands because his hammer missed it's target, I would say "Dad what did you say when you hit hour hand." "Oh FUDGE" He would say. Always loved the word.

BILL JR. said...

Do you still hide sweets in shoe boxes in the closet.
You've come a long way from making brownies to throw at mail boxes to a web site all about sweets. But come to think of it, those looked good to. love Bill jr.

Anne said...

Bill, Just for the record... George, you, and Ricky Tinsley threw the brownies. You made me drive the
get-away car. LOL

XOXO

Peg O said...

Man on Man, You got me, I almost had a heart attack with the F word and your mother {and Nana?} That was a good one.

My mother never could master the F udge. She probably stirred too much {in an effort to rush the process}.

That looks really good. Yum

Peg O.

Anonymous said...

Fud-da-age!! "Damn!" That looks GOOD! Can you plleasse package that and send it to 812 C. Drive! I promise I'll share......... Marg.

Aunt Grace said...

As I thought about this blog, I am truly amazed that your Mother kept the candy thermomater in its original box, and you have the box...didn't she ever throw any thing away??? What a treasure, I still miss her. I bet you still have her First Comunion veil.