Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy April Fool's!

Guess What?? http://www.cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com just posted my April Fool's Cupcakes as their feature cupcake for their April 1st, 2009 webpost. Wow! This is exciting!

(I am such a dork!)





Have you ever wondered why we recognize April Fool's Day??

Of course I've always wondered why. I can't help it. It is just in my nature to find out about things. I'm naturally curious about almost everything. I guess it's good...in a way. I need to know how things work, why they work, when they work, who makes them work, what time do they get out of work......and so on. You get the picture.




Well, my "research" showed that the closest point in time that can be identified as the beginning of this tradition was in 1582, in France. Prior to that year, the new year was celebrated for eight days, beginning on March 25. The celebration culminated on April 1. With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1. However, communications being what they were in the days when news traveled by foot, many people did not receive the news for several years. Others, the more obstinate crowd, refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the new year on April 1. These backward folk were labeled as "fools" by the general populace. They were subject to some ridicule, and were often sent on "fools errands" or were made the butt of other practical jokes. Over time, this harassment evolved into a tradition of prank-playing on the first day of April. The tradition eventually spread to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century. It was later introduced to the American colonies of both the English and French. April Fool's Day thus developed into an international fun fest, so to speak, with different nationalities specializing in their own brand of humor at the expense of their friends and families.



Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Although why couldn't they just say that this must have been when the first "Kick Me" sign was placed on someone's back, and leave it at that?





See, you just never know what you're going to discover here. I bet you weren't expecting a history lesson today, were you?.....Well that makes two of us because I didn't think I'd be giving one. Don't worry, there isn't a test at the end.



Anyway, in recognition of April Fool's Day this year, I almost made "faux" Fried Clams and Tartar Sauce.....but before you begin vomiting, I should tell you that it was really only fried banana pieces rolled in graham cracker crumbs, then dipped in vanilla buttercream frosting made to look like tarter sauce. That thought isn't much better is it? Seriously, I nearly made myself sick just thinking about it. I love Fried Clams and Tartar Sauce....but I'd rather have the real McCoy. Instead I chose to make these Spaghetti & Meatball Cupcakes because not only are they cute, but they are delicious, fun and easy to make. I really wanted to make a large cake shaped like a "bowl" of "spaghetti & meatballs, but my co-workers haven't had cupcakes in a couple of months and are beginning to feel neglected.










I used a Chocolate Espresso batter to make about two dozen cupcakes. Since I didn't want any huge cupcake "tops" to form during baking, I was careful to only fill the liners about halfway.










I whipped up two batches of buttercream and lightly tinted it a very pale, pale yellow....like the color of spaghetti.

















Then when the cupcakes were completely cool I started to decorate them. I crumb-coated the tops of the cupcakes first, just to make sure that the chocolate color didn't show through the icing. To make the "spaghetti", I used a number #5 decorating tip with a 12 inch pastry bag and created swirls on each cupcake. I made sure to cover the entire top of the cupcake building the form out and upwards.









When all of the cupcakes had been covered, I put them in the refrigerator to let the buttercream "spaghetti" set and firm up a bit. In the meantime, I snapped my fingers and conjured up a batch of mini cakeballs to use as the "meatballs".

Now of course you can't use real tomato sauce..........or maybe you could, but that would really taste gross, so I heated one 12 oz. jar of Strawberry Jelly until it was a syrupy consistency.......




...then I added it to a little bit of buttercream frosting, just to thicken it up a bit ( sounds really gross I know, but trust me...it tastes really good) and used a small squeeze bottle to pour it over the "spaghetti and meatballs".












Oops, I almost forgot the white chocolate "cheese" sprinkled on top....





Spaghetti and Meatballs with Cheese??



APRIL FOOL!


4 comments:

Lisa said...

Dang! Your just always thinking aren't you?
You know these look disturbingly delicious.

Liz says yummy....

Loved the history lesson, maybe I should have my kids start reading your blog. You never know what's going to be next. Can't wait until the next one.

Anonymous said...

Ya know...I always thought that you were so kind... One of my favorite's. Always fun to have around! Yeah! Here's Anne Marie!! Yipee!

However, I am finding in your writings and pictures as I begin to salivate; I realize you are not as "sweet" as your post depicts. It's cruel, I tell ya. Cruel. All of it...Heartless.

I've tried hypnosis. I've offered land and a home. Even offered my children to you. STILL NOTHING.

I say you start sending samples or else......

You may find you'll need to BUY a NEW MAILBOX!

I shall remain anonymous but be warned... SEND SAMPLES OR ELSE. (preferably fudge)

EDNurseasauras said...

I'd eat them. Heck, I'd eat cupcakes that looked like fried clams. The "spaghetti" bears a remarkable resemblence to brain. Just a thought for halloween....

Minka said...

I bet your co-workers love working with you!